Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Leaving in about 48 hours!

Hola!

In less than 48 hours, I'll be at the airport, checking into my flight to Buenos Aires, Argentina. I can't believe the time has flown by so quickly. I had big plans to write a few blog posts about the process of getting ready in real-time, but life has other plans, and so it goes.

Instead, here is the quick recap: I’m coming to the tail end of a Bachelor’s in Business Administration with a specialization in International Business. Damn the luck, this degree comes with a requirement to study abroad! What better way to demonstrate cultural sensitivity and foundations of curiosity and adventure than to ship off to another country for as long as financially possible! I also will graduate with minors in Spanish and Peace Studies, so it was important to me to study in a Spanish-speaking nation.

Originally I thought of Spain. Who wouldn’t want to sit on sun soaked beaches & eat tapas? But, as a business student, I of course had to consider the exchange rate. And it was not favorable. Although inflation is high in BA, the exchange rate is about 4 pesos per 1 US Dollar, and that is doable.
I chose Buenos Aires because it is a large, cosmopolitan city, and pretty much the opposite of everything I’m used to in the States. The nearest city, St. Louis, has a population of a mere 320,000 people, while Buenos Aires has around 1.3 million people. It has large Italian, German, and Japanese populations and is a veritable melting pot of culture.
Some of my favorite resources for travel information are:

Matador Network is a great place for candid articles about language learning, traveling, and life in general. They have a great community and it’s a good place to go to ask questions.

Gringo in Buenos Airesis a blog by an expat in BA. He has published an eBook of his blogs and it covers a huge range of topics, from public transportation, to safety, to where to shop and eat.

LonelyPlanet may not be as up-to-date as a blog or a community driven site like Matador Network, but it’s a good place to get an understanding of what Argentina (or any country) has to offer.

The program I’m traveling through is CulturalExperiences Abroad(CEA). I really haven’t been all that impressed. They are expensive, payment options are limited and have hefty fees, ridiculously quick due dates (if you indicate you’ll be paying cash), and they are slow to get information to you. But, they provide airport pick up, arrange excursions, provide on-site support, and handle getting your transcript to your school. Most study abroad offices should be familiar with them and they provide a number of programs all over the world. Tuition for the four week intensive language program at University of Belgrano, with deposits and fees, is $4,440, and airfare is another $1,200 - $1,500.

 Research your program, because you can direct-enroll in some of them through the host institution. Mine, for example, is through the Universityof Belgrano, and I recently found the same program listed on their website. I’m not sure if it’s less expensive, but it probably does not offer pre-arranged excursions.
Well, I’ll leave you with that for now. I need to pack, so next time I’ll offer some advice on packing and the process of getting to your destination!

No comments:

Post a Comment